Action from the Brendan Davis Cup final between Trim and Kiltale.

Gilsenan's Kiltale march to deserved Davis Cup victory

Brian Gilsenan watched his Kiltale side lose the SHC final to Kildalkey a few weeks ago but today his team ended up in the winners' enclosure when they defeated Trim 2-12 to 1-8 in the Brendan Davis Cup final.

Kildalkey was the venue for the game with the trophy named after a wonderful servant to the local club - and hurling in general.

Kiltale couldn't have asked for a better start to the game when captain James Kelly fired to the net in the opening minutes - and the were in front all the way.

They were in front 2-6 to 0-6 at the interval with Peter Durnin netting their second goal and the powered on from there. Durnin finished with 1-3 while Kelly hit 1-2 with Jack Regan firing over three points from play.

Trim's leading marksman was James Murray who hit five points and while Arnie McGee got a late goal for them it was a classic case of too little too late.


Kiltale - Peter Durnin 1-3; James Kelly 1-2; Jack Regan 0-3; Padraig Kelly 0-2; Stephen Donoghue 0-1; Eoghan Frayne 0-1.

Trim - James Murray 0-5 two '65s', one free; Mark Molloy 1-0; Sean McGee 0-1; Joey Cole 0-1; Mikey Cullen 0-1.


Kiltale - Conor Ryan; Conor Shirren, Willie Mahady, Brian O'Reilly; Conor McNally, Stephen Donoghue, Padraig Kelly; James Kellly, Shane Lenihan; Mark O'Sullivan, Chris Reilly, David Donoghue; Peter Durnin, Jack Regan, Ross Ryan. Subs - Eoghan Frayne for Ryan 29 mins, Cathal Brien for D Donoghue 46m, Gavin McVann for P Kelly 47m, Sean Hughes for O'Sullivan, Adam Rooney for Durnin both 61m.

Trim - Charlie Ennis; Ciaran O'Rourke, Ben Holden, Danny Coleman; Dimmy Higgins, James Toher, Sean McGee; Dylan Farrell, Ian Bermingham; Alan Douglas, James Murray, Mikey Cole; Brian Dowling, Joey Cole, David Murtagh. Subs - Ciaran Joyce for J Cole half-time, Aaron McGee for M Cole 46 mins, Harry Cottrell for Higgins 55m, Peter Farrell for Farrell, Josh Harris for Dowling both 57m.

Referee - Ciaran Flynn (Dunsany).

Match report and photographs from game in next issue of the Meath Chronicle.