VIDEO: Match Highlights of Kentstown Rovers victory over Athboy Celtic

Sunday, 9th September, 2018 6:38pm

VIDEO: Match Highlights of Kentstown Rovers victory over Athboy Celtic

Kentstown pulled back a two goal deficit to claim victory over Athboy

Justin Burke

These sides met last season in division one and Athboy Celtic had bragging rights over Kentstown Rovers as they won both games, scoring seven goals against there opponents with just one reply from Rovers so we knew we would see goals today and we were not disappointed. 

Athboy Celtic got a dream start after just five minutes when Rovers defender Ronan McDonald gave a short back pass to his keeper Darren Lynch but Derek Bowens was alert to be first to the ball and Liam Murphy took him down in the box for a penalty. Derek Bowens took it himself and made no mistake from twelve yards scoring against his former club. 

That lead was doubled four minutes later when Derek Bowens combined with his brother David to set up John Murray who side footed home from close range leaving the Kentstown Rovers management team pondering whether this would be a cricket score. 

Rovers reduced the deficit ten minutes before half time when Colm Walsh was taken down just outside the Athboy 18-yard box by Bashvili Nykmbiri and Matthew Poutch stepped up to send a curling left foot shot into the top corner leaving keeper Emanuel Nyarko no chance. 

Rovers were dealt a blow just before half-time when defender Stewart Garry was sent off for receiving a second yellow card for deliberate handball. 

Rovers came into the second-half a different side with super sub Charlie Cullen entering the fray, and nine minutes later these sides were level again as Ronan McDonald sent a long throw towards the box but Athboy defender Eamon Cusack headed clear but only as far as Matthew Poutch who took one touch before drilling a low shot past Nyarko to the delight of the home crowd. 

With just 20 minutes remaining and with ten men, Rovers took the lead when Derek Radcliffe launched a free kick from the sideline just inside his own half towards Colm Walsh but Athboy defender Eamon Cusack was seen pushing his player and match official Andrew McNamara blew for a free on the edge of the box. Matthew Poutch fired a left foot shot which was saved by Nyarko but it was Charlie Cullen who reacted quickest to send home the winner. Rovers held on for a well deserved three points and move them up the table. 

Kentstown Rovers:
Darren Lynch, Stewart Garry, Derek Radcliffe, Ronan McDonald, Liam Murphy, Andrew Lynch, Colm Walsh, Stephen Cummins, Matthew Poutch, Mark Corrigan - Subs Charlie Cullen, Conor Cowley, Eoin O Connell, Daragh Corcoran Karl Dempsey 

Athboy Celtic:
Emanuel Nyarko, Callum Ennis, Eamon Cusack, Ciaran Hartnett, Sean Thornton, Jack Kelly, John Murray, David Bowens, Derek Bowens, Gavin Brennan - Subs Adrian No-one, Ryan McNamee, Ciaran Forde 

Match Official - Andrew McNamara 

See more on this in Tuesday's Meath Chronicle