Broughton's Boys win All-Ireland gold and seal the three-in-a-row

Story by Jimmy Geoghegan

Saturday, 26th January, 2019 6:16pm

Broughton's Boys win All-Ireland gold and seal the three-in-a-row

Ashbourne celebrate

With a lot of grit and graft added to some luck and flashes of flamboyance Ashbourne did enough to defeat Enniscorthy 16-11 in the All-Ireland Junior Cup final at Edenderry today to complete the three-in-a-row. 

This was a game that Ashbourne had to delve deep to win yet Scott Broughton's charges were not found wanting and they took home the coveted piece of silverware. 

At times Ashbourne showed plenty of attacking flair; at other times they had to defend like their lives depended on it but they did just that particularly in the closing stages when the Wexford side exerted sustained pressure. 

Ashbourne's victory was built partly on a bright start that saw them surge into 10-0 lead after just 10 minutes. 

Enniscorthy, who are leading the Leinster League Div 1A by the proverbial mile, were slow to get started and Ashbourne, who had the wind behind them took advantage with Mark Rooney going over for a try after just four minutes with Gavin Kennedy adding the extras. 

It got better for Broughton's Boys as further pressure yielded penalties in quick succession with Kennedy showing great composure to score from both and put his team 13-0 after just 17 minutes. 

It was inevitable that Enniscorthy would come back and they did with Daivd O'Dwyer running in for a try in the corner, with the player just about getting the ball down. It was 13-5 at the break. 

The second-half prouduced the ineviable surge of attacks from Enniscorhty but Ashbourne stayed strong and disciplined to hold out with Simon Deevy and Jack O'Brien, Justin Whittaker only some of the Ashbourne players to put in the big tackles. 

It got really nervous for Ashbourne when Ivan Poole slotted over two penalties for Enniscorthy to make ti 13-11. Ashbourne regrouped put the phases of play together and earned a penalty from which Kennedy scored on the hour mark. 

You expected Enniscorthy to push on but they didn't. Ashbourne stayed strong. They also kept it tight, moving the ball through the phases and not giving the Enniscorthy backs much time or space. Eventually the final whistle sounded, they had made it. 

See match report, analysis and quotes in the next issue of the Meath Chronicle