Firefighters attend blaze at derelict house

A fire at a derelict house was one of 13 calls attended by Meath Fire Service on Hallowe'en night

Firefighters attended a total of 13 calls over the course of Hallowe'en night including a fire at a derelict house in Ballivor thought to be caused by fireworks. Crews from Trim and Navan attended the blaze in the vacant cottage with evidence of fireworks being found by firefighters inside the house.

Crews also attended a number of calls to bonfires around the county including in the Longwood, Kells, Dunboyne, Ashbourne, and Duleek areas. There were no serious bonfire incidents reported and firefighters were mostly there to monitor and ensure that the bonfires didn't get out of control.

Navan Fire Service were also out a skip fire in the Johnstown area and there were also two calls in Dunderry and Mornington where trees came down in the wind.

Earlier in the day, fire crews attended a blaze at a shed in the Ratoath area thought to be caused by a fault with an electric scooter that was charging. Dunshaughlin and Navan Fire Services attended the fire which was reported around 3.30am , yesterday morning. While the shed was destroyed, crews managed to stop the fire from spreading to the house.

On Saturday, firefighters from Ashbourne spent several hours battling a blaze in the Julianstown area where thousands of tyres were on fire. The call came in at around 7.30pm and firefighters were at the scene until after 11pm.

Meanwhile, gardai generally reported a quiet Hallowe'en this year with the number of calls in Navan down on last year.