The Meath players on their way back to the dressing room after celebrating their 1992 All-Ireland MFC victory over Armagh. Photo: John Quirke /

Glory days of the summer of 1992

Despite their rich heritage and the abundance of quality players that have come through the underage structures of Meath GAA, All-Ireland MFC success has only ever graced the Royal County three times with the hereos of 1957 claiming a first Tom Markham Cup before the Enda McManus-captained boys of 1990 repeated that feat. Meath didn't have wait too much longer for their third title when Peter O'Sullivan lifted the cup in 1992. Despite a number of near misses since then Meath's last minor success came 29 years ago and even then there was an element of good grace about it with MICHAEL FARRELLY scoring the winning goal in a 2-5 to 0-10 victory over Armagh. Now working in China here's his story of how that success unfolded.

I grew up in a small townland called Fyanstown a couple of miles outside Kells on the way to Slane. We had a GAA club, but it was a constant struggle to try to get funding to buy a half decent pitch and even to field a team, eventually after many efforts in vein the club folded.

Our fate was sealed and a group of football mad eight and nine-year-olds would go in to kick ball with the townies in Kells and would wear the red, white and green of Gaeil Colmcille.

Over the next decade with a healthy representation of Fyanstown kids, underage success flowed for Kells with a succession of cups paraded around the town in the late '80s and '90s.

Our school in Kells brought together lads from the surrounding parishes so our teams were augmented by the likes of Ollie Murphy from Carnaross and Raymond Cunningham from Kilmainhamwood, who would go on to win an Ulster title with Cavan in 1997.

From an early age, Ollie was so obviously just a force of nature on any sporting field. I remember him playing soccer for the first time with us in Kells under-13 or 14. He had never played before, but within 20 minutes he was sauntering forward from left back and banging in goals.

In 1991 at the age of 17, I was sub-goalie on the Kells senior team that won their first SFC in 25 years. Our trainer was the legendary Cavanman, PJ Carroll ably assisted by stalwart Benny Reddy who played half-forward and had trained our underage teams all the way up.

PJ had managed Cavan and had great success in charge of Leitrim. He was as old school as it comes as a trainer, screaming at you, pushing you beyond the bounds of endurance and stretching your concept of the pain you could take in pursuit of a common goal.

I never played even a minute in that championship but the training made me as a player. I remember one freezing cold wet night at the town end of the half waterlogged pitch in Kell, the drill was to get the ball from PJ Carroll and take on the two defenders and try and get a score.

Unfortunately the two defenders were Benny Reddy and Terry Ferguson and they would repeatedly hammer you back, dispossess you and then scream at you to grab the next ball and try again. It was torture and it broke you down, but it drove you forward as a young player.

When 1992 came around, I had done enough on various teams to be called in for trials and to eventually make the Meath minor panel.

It is hard to explain what the green jersey meant to us young fellas at that time. In 1986 when I was 11, a big gang of youngsters went from Kells to Croke Park for the first time in an old hired bus. Rain was sheeting down and skin and hair flying as Meath finally overcame the Dubs to win their first Leinster title since 1970 when the great Kells man Joe Murphy was a marauding full-forward.

The great adventure had begun.

Coming through Phibsboro on the way home, we got a bottle through the window of the bus from a disgruntled Dub who didn’t appreciate a bunch of kids offering our gestures of condolence. Well and truly baptised we were that day - We are Meath. Everybody hates us and we don’t care.

Through the All-Irelands of '87 and '88, the near miss of '90 and the amazing adventure of 1991, one wonders if those men who wore the green of Meath appreciated the impact they had on young people in the county at that time. It goes beyond just sporting achievement, beyond a group of talented players coming together and achieving success.

What we learned from those men - from Lyons, McEntee, O’Rourke and above all Sean Boylan was raw pride and a belief in a way of playing sport that would come to define the county - play hard.

Whatever it takes to win. Keep fighting and if you’re beaten in the end, never whinge and whine. Shake hands, say the better team won, and store up every ounce of collective bitterness you feel and hit back the next time you play.

Meath were not fancied to do much in minor in 1992. We had Brendan Murphy in goals who would go on to play soccer for Wimbledon. Our star player was Peter Sullivan who was just a phenomenal footballer.

Trevor Giles was just starting to move towards the greatness he would later achieve. I think it was during that campaign that he first moved from half-back to the centre-forward position that he would revolutionise over the next decade.

Ollie Murphy was only 15 or 16, but he was brought on the panel for the experience as it was clear he was going to be shooting out whatever lights you wanted to turn on just as soon as he filled out a bit.

We won a couple of early rounds in Leinster, struggling over a highly fancied Wexford team after a draw and extra time in the replay. I played ok at times at half-forward; pulled up no trees. I just about kept my place for the Leinster final against Westmeath, who were very well regarded and were favourites to win. I played corner forward for most of the game. I think I touched the ball once but we edged home. Leinster Champions.

The only problem was that the draw against Wexford had thrown the schedule back a week and the Leinster final was on the Sunday evening of Feile '92, the fabled Trip to Tipp.

I had been at Feile '91 with all my friends and had the kind of universe-altering weekend that only 16 year-olds-away on the tear can have. Suffice to say that we left Feile '91 with a sworn determination to return for a post-Leaving Cert Feile '92 at any cost.

Thus it was that in a jubilant Meath minor dressing room in Portlaoise with Philip Duff in the shower belting out ‘O Beautiful Meath’ - a song made famous by his auntie Mary Duff, I slipped out and managed to persuade my poor mother to drive me and Ollie Murphy (Ollie was always up for any craic going) towards Thurles and the last hour or two of the Feile weekend.

After about 20 miles, we flagged down a bus which was on its way to pick up revellers and a couple of hours later there we were on the streets of Thurles. Ollie headed off on his adventures and I managed to sneak in to the stadium for the last two acts - I think I saw Bryan Adams and a bit of Christy Moore.

Miraculously, I found my friends but it wasn’t the same. It was a weird feeling - all your mates high on the euphoria of a weekend of music and laughs congratulating you on being a Leinster champion, and me feeling a bit of a fraud as I hadn’t really contributed on that field and had got too late to this one to be a part of the experience here either.

Meanwhile, back at the GAA ranch, missing the Leinster final celebrations for the delights of Feile did not, to put it mildly, go down well with the lads in charge of the minor team.

Ironically, our trainer was called Christy Moore, a great army man and a serious motivator. I was inevitably dropped for the semi-final against Cork but I would have been dropped anyway. I was playing terribly and, at that stage was just waiting for it to be over.

Ironically the semi-final against Cork witnessed the only time when the Meath minor team really clicked and played brilliant football. We absolutely destroyed Cork and the game was over by half-time.

An unused sub, I remember sitting out at half-time on the pitch marvelling at the crowds from Clare. They had caused a massive shock, winning the Munster football title that year and were playing the Dubs in the senior semi after our game. I had never seen anything like the colour and the noise and this was only half time in the minor match. It was the first day for the Banner Roar, a couple of years before the hurlers really went into overdrive.

So there we were, an unheralded team still standing on the third Sunday in September - against all odds into an All-Ireland minor final.

Our opponents were a once in a generation team from Armagh that even in those pre-internet, pre-social media days had a serious reputation with players that were certainties for future senior stardom - Paul McGrane, Diarmuid Marsden, Des Mackin, Barry O'Hagan and others. They were expected to crush us.

The final was a dog of a game - very low scoring. Armagh were in control despite a slightly lucky goal by Trevor Giles.

Of course, in the midst of the stress and the emotion of such a big game, you start getting seriously agitated on the sideline hoping for a chance to maybe get on.

We were two points down and the game was slipping into injury-time when I finally got the slip of paper and ran out – number 20 – last throw of the dice.

By that stage I didn’t know which way was up – charging around with what felt like pneumatic pistons going 90 in my head.

I remember Peter Sullivan going through and taking a shot for goal when I felt I was free inside. To my shame, I roared dogs abuse at him, screaming all sorts of slurs. Suddenly blood started pumping out of my nose. It was just a red mist frenzy at that stage.

I ran out to midfield and managed to get my hands on a break. Got dragged back. Free in around the '45'. Charged in towards goal to see if I might get on the end of something. Turned around. The free had been taken quickly and was already on its way - slightly mis-hit. The Armagh lad marking me had the jump on me, but at the last second he lost his footing and suddenly I had the ball on my left foot at the Hill 16 goal about 10 yards out, 0-10 to 1-5 down in injury time in an All-Ireland final.

I had never been a very prolific scorer - my talents were always more in the donkey work, passing sector of the GAA economy - but at that moment the goals opened up and time slowed down and it honestly seemed harder to miss - just an indescribable feeling of certainty which you experience maybe a couple of times in a lifetime of games.

The ball hit the net and we were a point up. Armagh came again, but when their final 45 dropped short, we were All-Ireland minor champions.

I had never been a hero on any team I played on so it was all a bit surreal as I think you are contractually obliged to say in such circumstances.

We had a great few weeks – it was such fun visiting schools and seeing the gleam in kids’ eyes as they stared like Smaug the Dragon at the big cup, just as we had stared years ago at David Beggy and the lads up on a trailer near Bective Square in Kells with the impossibly huge Sam Maguire.

After a while, it died down and you realised you were still the exact same introverted, messed-up kid that you were before anyone had heard of you. Life goes on. A couple of years later, after I stopped playing for the UCG college team, the legendary Tony ‘Horse’ Regan used to roar at me whenever he saw me “Farrelly – nobody gives a shite what you win at underage”.

As usual 'Horse' was right, but still, looking back 30 years and 5,000 miles away from Fyanstown, it is still a source of pride to have been a tiny footnote in Meath GAA.

Recent years have not been kind to us, but like all fans of the green jersey around the world, I hope and believe that Meath will rise again and a new generation of heroes will inspire the kids the way Ferguson, O’Connell, Gillic, Stafford, Flynn and the other lads inspired us. Come on the Royals.


Meath - Brendan Murphy; Kenneth Cantwell, John Brady, James Smith; Paul Shankey, Joe Tighe, Barry Sheridan; Derry Hunt (0-1), Neville Dunne; Kieran Harten, Caimin Hall, Gareth Bell; Philip Duff, Peter Sullivan (0-1), Trevor Giles (1-2). Subs - Paul Nestor (0-1) for Duff, Michael Farrelly (1-0) for Harten.

Armagh - Darren Whitmarsh; Eamon Fearon, Eddie Martin, Emlyn Bratten; Conor Wilson, Michael Hanratty, Kevin O'Hagan; Barry O'Hagan (0-1), Paul McGrane; Barry Hughes, Diarmuid Marsden (0-3), Paul McNulty (0-1); Declan Toner, Des Mackin, Niall McGleenan (0-5). Subs - Kieran Rafferty for McGleenan, Andrew McCann for Fearon, Kieran Mallie for Bratten.

More from this Topic