Ruairi Kinsella surges for for Meath today against Dublin.PHOTO GERRY SHANANAN / JOHN QUIRKE PHOTOGRAPHY

Frayne points the way as Meath sink Dublin

Meath advanced to the Leinster MFC quarter-final when they demolished Dublin in seven-minute second-half spell for a 1-15 to 0-7 victory at Pairc Tailteann today.

Eight minutes into the second-half the sides were level (0-7 each) for the sixth time in what was a slow-burner.

Then Meath found some fluency and three Eoghan Frayne points ignited the Royals with the crucial goal in the 15th minute finished to the net by Dunshaughlin's Aaron Murphy.

Extra points were added by two other Dunshaughlin players, Ruairi KInsella and Conor Gray.

Dublin had a chance to re-organise at the water break, but they trailed by 0-7 to 1-12 and there was no way back.

Meath players enjoying the after-match atmosphere at Pairc Tailteann today

Dublin's demise was mostly self-inflicted as they tallied seven first-half wides and the teams went in at the break tied (0-4 each).

Battling Meath made the most of limited opportunities in that first-half and Dublin didn't - that adequately describes the action for the opening 30 minutes.

The Meath players worked extremely hard to contain the Dublin threat against the wind.

Dublin squandered a goal chance soon after the water break as the combined efforts of Meath goalkeeper Billy Hogan and full-back Liam Kelly averted the danger.

Points from Ciaran Caulfield (free), Frayne (free), John McDonagh and Aaron Murphy had Meath in front with Dublin playing catch up through a brace of Darragh Dempsey pointed frees and one each from play by Conor Dolan and Sean Gannon.

Dublin players and mentors reflect on the result at Pairc Tailteann

Dublin resumed smartly after the resumption and hit the front for the first time when Luke Ward sent over inside 30 seconds, but it was a brief advantage as Kinsella restored parity - there was only a minute on the clock at that stage.

Frayne sent over two points from play, but Dublin replied through Eoghan Conor-Flanagan and Luke Breathnach for 0-7 each after 38 minutes.

However, by the time the water break arrived Meath were ahead by eight points and maintained their dominance for the remainder without too much difficulty.

Next up for the Meath lads is the visit of Westmeath on Wednesday 28th October, the venue could be Ashbourne but that is not confirmed.


Meath - Eoghan Frayne 0-7 two frees; Aaron Murphy 1-1; Ruairi Kinsella 0-3; John McDonagh 0-2; Conor Gray 0-1; Ciaran Caulfield 0-1 free.

Dublin - Darragh Dempsey 0-2 frees; Conor Dolan 0-1; Sean Gannon 0-1; Luke Ward 0-1; Luke Breathnach 0-1; Eoghan O'Connor-Flanagan 0-1.


Meath - Billy Hogan (Longwood); Ben Moran (Summerhill), Liam Kelly (Ratoath), Ben Donnelly (Kilbride); Sean O'Donoghue (St Colmcille's), Oisin Kelly (Ratoath), Ciaran Caulfield (Trim); Sean Emmanuael (St Patrick's), Conor GRay (Dunshaughlin); Shane Maguire (Navan O'Mahonys), Ruairi Kinsella (Dunshaughlin), John McDonagh (Dunshaughlin); Alan BOwden (Duleek / Bellewstown), Eoghan Frayne (Summerhill), Aaron Murphy (Dunshaughlin). Subs - Liam Stafford (St Colmcille's) for Maguire 56 mins, Tómas Corbett (Ratoath) for McDonagh 57m, Cormac Sheehy (Meath Hill) for Murphy 58m.

Dublin - Hugh O'Sullivan; Sean O'Driscoll, Theo Clancy, Robert O'Shea; Eoghan O'Connor-Flanagan. Daire O'Rourke, Greg McEneaney; Alex Gavin, Tom Brennan; Conor Dolan, Luke Breathnach, Seamus Smith; Sean Gannon, Darragh Dempsey, Luke Ward. Subs - David Keogh for Nolan 42 mins, Fionan TUrner for Dempsey 45m, Ross Keogh for Gannon and Eoin Wilde for Smith both 46m, Matthew Lynch for Brennan 58m.

Referee - Alan Coyne (Westmeath).

More from this Topic