Fr Kelly unfazed by abuse

Fr Kelly unfazed by abuse

Despite threatening phonecalls and cruel remarks by some members of the public, Fr Ray Kelly says he is really enjoying 'Dancing with the Stars' at the moment
While Fr Ray felt he had to report one phonecall he received which was highly abusive and threatening, he says although he has received some abuse for taking part in the RTE Show, 99.9 per cent of the messages he has received have been supportive.
He obviously has a lot of support as he remains in the show, which saw a lot of high profile departures in recent weeks including that of Brian Dowling last week.
Fr Ray was interviewed on Joe Duffy's Liveline today (Wednesday) and while there was a call from a man who felt he should stop, he got a lot of phonecalls of support.
"Since I said I was doing the show, I've had a few nasty letters and messages. One woman reminded me that John the Baptist was beheaded over a dance, while another woman sggested it would be a great Lenten sacrifice if I pulled out of the competition for lent," he says.
"One phonecall was very abusive and I reported that to the gardai, but I have had so many messages of support," he said.
Fr Ray is being kept in the show by the public vote. While he received some cruel comment from the judges in previous weeks, his dancing has clearly improved and this has been remarked on by the judges.
"Im still not the best dance in the world. I'm not 30. I'm 66 and my body doesn't move as fast, but Im enjoying it. I feel better and I can remember the steps better," he said.

More from this Topic