Summerhill sink Dunsany's dreams

Summerhill advanced to a JFC quater-final against Meath Hill when they stood strong against a cantankerous Dunsany challenge to win by 2-14 to 2-6 at Dunshaughlin tonight.

The background to the game was difficult for Dunsany as the tie was originally scheduled for Sunday, but it was postponed due to the passing for club president Joan Flynn who was laid to rest at midday today.

That may have been a distraction for Dunsany, having to line out eight hours after the funeral, and they were off the pace for most of the opening half and completely lacked concentration. They actually whinged through most of the half and lost Alan Kelly to two yellow cards in the space of about 10 minutes.

It was a pivotal moment as Dunsany had battled back into the game afater trailing by nine points (0-1 to 1-7) by the 20th minute. Six points (five frees) from Conor Lyons and one by Conor Frayne plus Paddy McGrath's goal gave Summerhill a platform for victory.

Dunsany were on the board through Mark Brennan's pointed free, but they also missed an early goal chance when Padraig Burke was denied by Gary Rispin. Then, a two-goal Dunsany blitz – Mark Brennan and Eoin Marsh – and a Danny Thynne point restored competitiveness and left the 'Hill with a 1-7 to 2-2 interval advantage.

Ten minutes into the second-half and it was level (2-5 to 1-8) with Mark Brennan (two) and David Boyle for Dunsany and Eamonn Ryan for Summerhill.

Dunsany also hit the post three times during that spell of pressure, but then they started to pay the price for all the extra effort of playing with 14 men required. Summerhill capitalised and took complete control with points from McGrath and Lyons (two each), John Keane and Ross Tallon.

The game was fragmented with lots of disciplinary issues that kept referee Jack Gordon in frequent consultation with his umpires and the late goal Diarmuid McCabe added a bit of extra gloss to a solid Summerhill performance.

Summerhill will play Meath Hill on Sunday 10th September while for the Dunsany players, some of them will be lining out for Kilmessan in the SHC quarter-final on Saturday.

Summerhill – Gary Rispin; Mark Donohoe, David Myles, Jack Payne; Rod McAuliffe, John Keane (0-1), Eamonn McDonnell; Cian Devlin, Paddy McGrath (1-2); Ross Tallon (0-1), Conor Lyons (0-8 seven frees), Eamonn Ryan; Diarmuid McCabe (1-0), Paul Rispin, Conor Rrayne (0-2). Subs – John Lavelle for McAuliffe 36 mins, Declan Lyons for McDonnell 55m, Cathal Ryan for Tallon 57m, Eoin Jennings for Ryan 59m

Dunsany – Niall Flynn; Ryan Montague, Gavin Byrne, Eoin Harkin; Keelan McNamara, Joey Keena, Padraig Burke; Eoin Marsh (1-0), Shane Brennan; David Boyle (0-1 free), Alan Kelly, Conor Harkin; Danny Thynne (0-1), Shane Walsh, Mark Brennan (1-4 two frees, one '45'). Subs – Cathal Murphy for Harkin 17 mins, Pierre Fox for Walse 45m, Jake Harlin for S Brennan and David Hobson for Murphy 55m, Cathal Burke for Thynne 59m.

Referee – Jack Gordon (Walterstown).