Christy Meade worked hard for Rathkenny but they still lost out to Gaeil Colmcille.

Rathkenny undone by visitors' bright start

Gaeil Colmcille...2-13


Marie Keogh

Visitors Gaeil Colmcille produced a clinical first-half effort to lead by 16 points in this ‘Rays Roofing and Home Renovations’ football league Div 7 game played in Rathkenny last Tuesday evening.

However, a spirited comeback by the home team left just four in it at the end.

It was certainly a game of two halves as the Kells outfit finished the first half with 2-11 but also notched up seven wides and had two other good saves made by the Rathkenny custodian Ronan Curtis.

The hosts had four good goal chances that went a begging and ended the half with a solitary point sent over by Daniel Gavagan on 22 minutes.

The visitors at that point had 2-6 on the board, a third minute pointed free was immediately followed by their first goal.

That goal was added to on nine minutes when they scored their second. Ten further points seemed to end this as a contest. At the interval Rathkenny trailed 0-1 Gaeil Colmcille 2-11.

Rathkenny made some second half adjustments and within forty seconds of the restart, centre back Colm Kerrigan went on a great run and finished with a fine point. Full forward Oisin Cummins Fuller added the hosts third point with two second half minutes on the clock.

When Adam Brennan finished to the net following a great pass from Christy Meade, the pep was back in the Rathkenny step. A couple of wides followed as Rathkenny suddenly were winning most of the battles.

Gaeil Colmcille eventually sent over their first score of the half with thirty-eight minutes on the clock. Corner forward Daniel Gavagan then added a long range pointed effort and Rathkenny tails were up.

Rathkenny were then awarded a penalty when Oisin Cummins Fuller was fouled in the square. Gavagan duly dispatched to the corner of the net and the gap was down to eight with forty-eight minutes played.

Substitute Joey Curtis sent over a forty-five as play entered the fiftieth minute mark. Within a minute Gaeil Colmcille added their second and final score of the half and things got interesting when Rathkenny sub Noah Jenkinson got on the end of a great ball from Joey Curtis and calmly slotted home with eight minutes left on the clock.

The gap was now five. Patrick Knowles reduced the gap to four with a point on 53 minutes. The hosts then had three efforts saved or narrowly wide as they could not get the next score. Referee Robbie Barrett blew full time after five minutes of added time.

Rathkenny – Ronan Curtis; Rioghan Timmons, Daithí Downey, Corbin Jenkinson; Stephen Crosbie, Colm Kerrigan (0-1), T. J. Bellew; Christy Meade, Andrew Bellew; Niall Branigan, Brian Lenehan, Noah McBride; Adam Brennan (1-0), Oisin Cummins-Fuller (0-1), Daniel Gavagan (1-2). Subs – James Macken for Ronan Curtis (H/T), Michael Dineen for T. J. Bellew (H/T), Noah Jenkinson (1-0) for Adam Brennan (42), Joey Curtis (0-1) for Andrew Bellew (46), Cal Kealy for Rioghan Timmons (47), Patrick Knowles (0-1) for Niall Branigan (49).