The body of Zbigniew Czwch was found in a property on Academy St in Navan.

Man found dead in Navan apartment named locally

The man found dead in a residence on Navan's Academy Street last night has been named locally as Zbigniew Czwch aged in his 40's.

The man, originally from Eastern Europe is believed to have died in violent circumstances at the property close to the junction of Circular Road and Bridge Street.

A woman aged in her 30's and believed to be known to the deceased man was arrested and is currently detained at Kells Garda station.

Investigating Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to come forward. Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room at Navan Garda Station 046-9036100 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

Reacting to the news of the fatality this morning, Senator Shane Cassells said: "This old part of the town has been left reeling by the discovery of the poor man's body.

"As people went into mass this morning, just up the road from where he was found, they couldn't get over the news.

"It's a heartbreaking occurrence in the build up to a happy time that is Christmas."

Cllr Tommy Reilly described the news as "shocking" coming so close to Christmas. "You just don't expect to wake up to news like that in Navan. It's very sad, There's two families devastated today and my sympathies go out to the family of the deceased man."

Cllr Alan Lawes said he was deeply saddened to hear the news and expressed sympathy to the family of the deceased man. "It's tragic to think of something like this happening in our town so close to Christmas."

Cllr Yemi Adenuga said it was shocking to hear of such an occurrence at any time of year but that it was "particularly heartbreaking in the run up to Christmas". "The close-knit community in Navan will be hurting over such a tragedy and we can only hope the Gardai get to the bottom of it."

Cllr Adenuga encouraged anyone who may have seen or heard anything in the Academy Street area last night to contact Gardai.

The Navan death came just hours after the body of a man was found in a field in Kilbride.