Navan men advance in hockey cup

Story by Conall Collier

Thursday, 6th December, 2018 8:27pm

Navan men advance in hockey cup

In a rain-soaked encounter Navan men advanced to the next round of the Leinster Intermediate Cup after Chris Booth snatched a late goal for a 1-0 victory against Mullingar last Sunday.

Despite the torrential rain in the first-half both sides had plenty of chances with Navan 'keeper Emmet O’Mordha the busier throughout.

Navan’s penalty corners misfired again, despite one good effort saved on the line. 

Eamon Lynskey and Bryan Harley got through a lot of work in midfield, especially after Keith Howell went off injured.

Mullingar’s skilful attacks down the left posed some problems, but Lynskey and Harley made excellent interceptions and tackles and were backed up admirably by Shane O’Brien with a commanding display at left back. 

It looked to be heading for extra-time when a very sloppy hit out went straight to Ru Clarke for important possession.

Clarke and Booth made good use of the two v one to bypass the last defender and Booth’s slightly mishit shot wrong-footed the Mullingar keeper.

Navan - E O’Mordha; C Kearns, R Warburton, S O’Brien, B Harley, E Lynskey, K Howell, P Garry, R Clarke, J McQuade, C Booth. Subs - M Holland, R Davis, S Kearns.


It was a tough weekend with the Navan first team lsoing (1-6) to Clontarf in the cup fielding only nine players.

Navan held their own in the first-half and Karen Dunne produced a string of top class saves. It took 20 minutes for Clontarf to break the deadlock going ahead 1-0. 

The Navan side did not lose heart and Grainne Hussey spread the ball wide on a hit out to Fiona Madden who pelted it to Bronagh Markey who won a short corner.

Markey injected the ball from the end line to the waiting Niamh Curtin who smashed it into the bottom left corner. 

That was as good as it got for Navan as Clontarf upped the tempo and with a numerical advantage took control for a comfortable win.


The second team faced Three Rock Rovers, also in the cup, on Saturday. The Navan side looked stronger and Mags Kilcooley opened the scoring with an absolute beauty from the top of the D. 

Minh Stewart and Sinead Dixon kept the pressure on the Rock and the defensive line of Aoife Heaney, Samantha Simari and Kathlyn Newman worked overtime to curtail the opposition. 

Eirin Dames displayed superior confidence between the posts, but despite their best efforts the Rock women put three between the posts by the end of the game for a 3-1 victory.

The second team then faced Our Lady's on Sunday after they agreed to reverse a fixture from the previous week after the Navan pitch flooded. 

Ironically, the sand-based astro pitch at Our Lady's flooded after 20 minutes of the first-half and part of the second was pelted in torrential rain. 

The Navan side showed great spirit despite the weather and the hosts struggled to get through the defensive line of Kathlyn Newman, Aoife Heaney and Eirin Dames. 

Dames was on fire between the posts and it seemed unlikely that Our Lady's were going to score. 

Heaney was crucial in clearing the ball up the left wing and that proved Navan's best form on attack with Sinead Dixon stirring up great chances with her formidable reverse hit.

It took a short corner in the dying moments of the first-half for Our Lady's to break the deadlock for what turned out to be the winning goal.

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus