Ryan's hat-trick inspires Killyon

Story by Fergal Lynch

Tuesday, 9th July, 2019 9:19pm

Ryan's hat-trick inspires Killyon

killyon v dunboyne action.jpg

This SHC clash at Trim this evening won't live long in the memory for many, although Calvin Ryan will recall it with pride as his hat-trick of goals helped Killyon to their first victory over the campaign with a 4-11 to 1-12 win over disappointing Dunboyne.

The first-half was poor stuff and ended level and while proceedings did liven up in the third quarter, two goals from David Raleigh and Ryan inside seven minutes of the restart put the issue to bed as the play restored to being scrappy and very forgettable.

The opening period was littered with wayward shooting and wrong decision making from both sides. There were the odd brief moments of quality, in particular from Killyon goalkeeper Stephen Quinn who made several smart saves including one from a Neil Hackett penalty.

The opening score came in the fifth minute and after a scramble in the Dunboyne goalmouth it was Ryan who showed decent improvisation to pull on the sliotar between his own legs and into the net for a Killyon goal.

It took Dunboyne three minutes to reply from a Daragh Gilmartin free, but with Mikey Mullen having an off day from placed balls Killyon couldn't take advantage of indiscipline in the Dunboyne defence.

A foul by Keith Keogan on Conor Gilmartin gave Dunboyne the perfect opportunity to hit the front, but Hackett's well-struck penalty was kept out low to his right by Quinn and 90 seconds later Mullen eventually found his range from a free to stretch Killyon's lead to 1-1 to 0-1.

Niall Smyth replied for Dunboyne, but once again Quinn came to Killyon's rescue with a fine save to deny Daragh Gilmartin who got away with a little push in the back on Brendan Quinn to create the opening.

A 60-metre free from Mullen looked to have settled his and Killyon's nerves, but Dunboyne rallied again with Hackett pointing brilliantly before Conor Gilmartin pulled to the net after Quinn had saved Sean mcGrath's initial effort.

Mullen's off day continued when he squandered a goal chance and Dunboyne took advantage with Stephen Moran pointing to make it 1-4 to 1-2 in the 23rd minute.

Mullen relinquished the free-taking duties to Keoghan and the county player made no mistake from his first chance, but again Dunboyne replied with Daragh Gilmartin restoring their two-point lead.

The game looked to be getting away from Killyon, but they closed the half with points from Mullen and another Keoghan free to ensure party at the break, 1-5 each.

Within a minute of the restart Killyon made a burst for home as David Raleigh rifled the ball to the net from a narrow angle and even though Conor Gilmartin and Daragh Gilmartin pulled points back for Dunboyne either side of a free for Mullen who was restored to close range free-taking duties they were chasing the game.

That chase ended when Ryan got the slightest of touches from a long delivery to deceive Sean Moran and bag his second goal to make it 3-6 to 1-7.

Dunboyne hit wide after wide, but did manage scores from Hackett (two), Daragh Gilmartin, Michael Dunne and John Mitchell, but they couldn't get through for another goal as Killyon stayed out of reach with points from Mullen (two), Ryan, Keoghan and David Raleigh before Ryan completed his hat-trick of goals and send the Killyon supporters back to the Hill of Down with smiles on their faces.





Killyon – Calvin Ryan 3-1; Mikey Mullen 0-6 four frees; David Raleigh 1-1; Keith Keoghan 0-3 frees.

Dunboyne – Conor Gilmartin 1-1; Daragh Gilmartin 0-4 three frees; Neil Hackett 0-3; Niall Smyth 0-1; Stephen Moran 0-1; Michael Dunne 0-1; Johnny Mitchell 0-1.



Killyon – Stephen Quinn; Brian O'Reilly, Evan Burke, Brendan Quinn; Paddy Coyle, Keith Keoghan, Thomas Raleigh; Jacob Ryan, Cillian Canavan; Clayton Keegan, Adam Farrell, Adam Gannon; Mikey Mullen, Calvin Ryan, David Raleigh. Sub – Ger Foley for Farrell half-time.


Dunboyne – Stephen Moran; Ger Murphy, Andy McWeeney, Niall Watters; Fergal O'Neill, Alan Watters, Darren Dunne; Stephen Moran, Michael O'Grady; Niall Smyth, Keith Doyle, Conor Gilmartin; Daragh Gilmartin, Sean McGrath, Neil Hackett. Subs - Johnny Mitchell for Dunne half-time, Michael Dunne for Doyle 39 mins, Killian Smyth for N Smyth 44m.


Referee – Stephen Masterson (Kildalkey).

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus