Harnan return can't inspire Skryne to victory

Round up of Feis Cup, Corn na Boinne and Tailteann Cup standings




After a couple of weeks of upheaval in Skryne Liam Harnan's return as manager didn't get off to a winning start his side were edged out by Ratoath in their meaningless closing game of the Feis Cup campaign.

Harnan must have been wondering what he let himself in for in the opening stages of this clash as Ratoath burst from the traps with a Tom Fadden goal boosting them to a 1-6 to 0-2 lead at the first water break.

However the break was exactly what Skryne needed and after a few stern words they regrouped and won the second quarter 1-2 to 0-2 with Niall Finnerty netting to help close the gap to just four points by half-time.

All that good work was undone early in the second-half when Ratoath were awarded a penalty which was converted and they quickly added another couple of points to open up a nine-point lead.

Darragh Campion did give Skryne hope with a couple of fine efforts and with Mark Battersby, Finnerty and Shane Smyth also on target Skryne closed to 1-9 to 2-11 at the second water break.

Scores were scarce when play resumed, but it was Finnerty who fired an excellent second goal to close the gap to the minimum and the comeback looked on.

However Ratoath settled again with Jack Gillespie adding the insurance point to claim the spoils.

Skryne - Des McAvinney; Kristoffer Kinsella, David Carroll, Eoghan Greene; Frank Carty, Darragh Campion (0-4), Paddy Carpenter; Harry Rooney (0-1), Patrick Fox; Tommy Carpenter, Padraig Finnerty (0-2), David McGoldrick; Conor O’Brien, Niall Finnerty (2-1), Mark Battersby (0-1). Subs - Michael Doherty, Shane Smyth (0-1), Oisín Keogh.



Moynalvey refused to gift neighbours Summerhill an easy ride to the Feis Cup semi-finals as they left them sweating with a huge victory.

Needing a win to secure their place in the last four Summerhill were pushed to the pin of their collars early on as Moynalvey's returning inter-county contingent inspired them to an early lead.

Meath hurler David Reilly was amongst the early scorers for Moynalvey and even though Summerhill countered with a Diarmuid McCabe point, the hosts continued to press with Cillian O'Sullivan and Mark O'Sullivan also on the mark to make it 0-4 to 0-2.

Summerhill added another point before the water break, but they failed to score in the second quarter as Moynalvey opened up a 0-7 to 0-3 interval lead with David McLoughlin on fire.

Summerhill did manage to close the deficit to 0-6 to 0-8 early in the second-half, but Cillian O'Sullivan stretched that lead to three by the second water break.

McLoughlin and Conor Frayne traded frees before Ciaran Harnan snatched the only goal of the game in the 50th minute to put Moynalvey firmly in the driving seat.

News of Dunboyne's big win over Gaeil Colmcille filtered through and Summerhill breathed easier, but it was Moynalvey who pushed on to secure their fourth win of the campaign.

Moynalvey - Chris O’Malley; Brian O’Reilly, Conor Harnan, Brian Harnan; David Reilly (0-1), Fearghal McCabe, Cathal McCabe; Padraic Harnan (0-1), Darren Brennan; Sean Duggan, Donal Smith, Cillian O’Sullivan (0-4); David McLoughlin (0-5), Mark O’Sullivan (0-2), Ciaran Harnan (1-0). Subs - Stephen Donoghue for Smith, David Donoghue for Duggan.

Summerhill - Tony McDonnell; Caolan Young, Ross Ryan, Padraic Jennings; John Lavelle, Paul Larkin, Ronan Ryan; Micheal Byrne, Willie Ryan; Davy Dalton, David Larkin (0-2), Diarmuid McCabe (0-2); Conor Lyons (0-3), Conor Frayne (0-2), Liam Shaw. Subs - Aaron Williams for W Ryan, Kevin Ryan (0-1) for Lyons 45, Eoghan Frayne for Shaw, Adam McDonnell for Byrne.


Group A - Dunboyne 3-16, Gaeil Colmcille 0-13; Moynalvey 1-13, Summerhill 0-10; Dunshaughlin w/o, Curraha scr.

Group B - Wolfe Tones 4-17, Simonstown 0-12; Ratoath 2-12, Skryne 2-10; Seneschalstown 4-8, Ballinabrackey 1-10; St Colmcille's 2-16, Na Fianna 2-11.




Navan - Dunboyne v Simonstown.

Trim - Summerhill v Wolfe Tones.



Group C - Longwood 3-13, Kilmainham 1-12; Drumbaragh 2-11, Dunderry 1-8; Oldcastle 2-17, Bective 0-11; Trim w/o, Moylagh scr.




Cortown - St Michael's v Trim.

Walterstown - St Patrick's v Oldcastle.


Boardsmill....... 0-11

Cortown............ 0-8

Despite being out of contention for a place in the Tailteann Cup semi-finals Cortown put up a good showing before going down narrowly against unbeaten Boardsmill.

Boardsmill welcomed back Danny Dixon from inter-county duty, but it was Cortown who started well with Tommy Smith and Davy Rispin firing them into an early lead.

However, once Boardsmill settled they hit four successive points before the water break with Dixon and Keith Hamilton on the mark. Rehydrated, Cortown resumed smartly with Brian Smith closing the gap before Rispin equalised from a free.

Boardsmill responded with the next two scores before Rispin converted a mark to close the gap to 0-5 to 0-6 at the interval.

Two more frees from Rispin edged Cortown ahead again shortly after play resumed and when the visitors were reduced to 14 men following a black card Cortown looked in a strong position.

However, as so often happens when a team goes down to 14, Boardsmill rallied with Hamilton sparking a purple patch with a '45' and they moved three clear.

Cortown - Jack Lynch; Daragh Smith, Barry Canning, Ciaran Keating; Mikey Rennick, Stevie Clarke, Luca Brady; Odhran Henry, Brían Smith (0-1); Luke Carberry, Tommy Smith (0-1), Ivor O'Halloran; Davy Rispin (0-6), Daragh O'Halloran, Colm Kerrigan. Subs - Decky Clarke for I O'Halloran, Kevin Muldoon for T Smith, Oisin Smith for B Smith, B Smith for O Smith.



With nothing at stake only pride Moynalty and Kilbride served up a Tailteann Cup cracker with the hosts shading the verdict with Kian Lynch playing a heroes part with two late goals.

Despite Adam Reilly's goal wiping out Kilbride's bright start Moynalty found themselves 1-8 to 2-10 adrift at half-time. Reilly bagged his second soon after the restart to drag Moynalty back into the contest and when Carl Lynch added a point there was only the minimum between the teams.

Kilbride slowly started to pull away again before a third goal from Paul Lynch brought Moynalty back to within one and inspired by that John Brogan, Bryan McCormack and Paul Lynch all kicked points to push the hosts four points clear.

Kilbride responded with four successive points to restore parity and then in a blistering spell they added a further 1-3 to give them a five-point cushion with three minutes remaining.

Moynalty threw on Kian Lynch for the closing stages and he rewarded themn with two quickfire goals to rattle Kilbride and secure the thrilling victory.

Moynalty - Jonathan Lynch; Richard Gilsenan, Pauric O'Connor, Liam Brogan; Cormac Kearney (0-1), Niall O'Connor, Joseph Gilsenan; Anthony Nevin, Paddy Byrne; John Brogan (0-1), Adam Reilly (2-0), Ollie Sheridan; Paul Lynch (1-3), Bryan McCormack (0-4), Carl Lynch (0-5). Subs - Gavin Lynch for Nevin, Ronan Lynch for Sheridan, Kian Lynch (2-0) for McCormack.


Group A - St Vincent's 1-10, St Brigid's 2-6; Dunsany 0-14, Carnaross 1-8; Moynalty 5-14, Kilbride 3-19; Castletown 4-11, St Ultan's 1-9.

Group B - Boardsmill 0-11, Cortown 0-8; Slane 3-13, Kilmainhamwood 0-9.




Bective - Castletown v Boardsmill.


TBA - St Vincent's v Slane/St Mary's.