Minister addresses Dublin garda shooting

Both male detective gardaí, 30s, received gunshot wounds to the foot and one also received a hand wound.

Acting Minister for Justice, Heather Humphreys, has said her “thoughts” with the two members of An Garda Síochána who sustained gunshot injuries while responding to an incident in Blanchardstown yesterday evening, and with their families.

“I am relieved to hear that the situation was resolved following negotiation. I want to commend all of the Gardaí who were involved in ensuring there were no further injuries,” said the Minister, who has also been in contact with Garda Commissioner Drew Harris regarding the matter.

Shortly after 7pm on Tuesday (May 25) Gardaí were alerted to an incident reporting that gunshots had been heard in the vicinity of Whitechapel Grove, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.

A unit of armed plain clothes officers and uniform Gardaí supported by Armed Support Units responded to the scene where they came under fire. The Garda members took cover behind a patrol car and an exchange of firearms occurred between the male in the property and the armed detectives. The patrol car was struck a number of times by bullets.

Both male detective Gardaí, 30’s, received gunshot wounds to the foot and one also received a hand wound.

Responding Garda Units sealed off the area around the house in Whitechapel Grove and a number of other houses in the area were evacuated for the safety of the occupants.

An Garda Síochána put in place a Critical Fireman’s Incident response, an Operational Commander was appointed; supported by resources from National Negotiators Unit, Emergency Response Unit and Armed Support Units.

An extended barricade incident developed and following intensive negotiations, shortly after 9.30pm two firearms, an automatic pistol and a handgun, were surrendered from the house.  Both firearms and ammunition have been recovered.

A short time later a male, in his late 30s was arrested at the scene and is currently detained at Blanchardstown Garda Station under section 30 Offences Against the State Act 1939.

Both injured Garda detectives received medical treatment at Connolly Memorial Hospital for non-life threatening gunshot wounds.

Gardaí at Blanchardstown continue to investigate all the circumstances of this critical firearms incident.

As the incident involved the discharge of official Garda firearms the incident has also been referred to the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission.

“Shocking incidents such as this remind us of the dangers the men and women of An Garda Síochána face every day.  We can never take for granted their bravery and the dedicated service they provide to our communities,” said Minister Humphreys, who is serving in the role temporarially in place of Minister Helen McEntee

“We must always remember that in wearing the uniform and serving the Irish people, they place our protection and their duty to the State above their own safety,” she added.

An investigation into the incident is now underway and I urge any member of the public with any information or footage to contact Blanchardstown Garda Station.”

Commissioner Harris commended all the Gardaí involved in securing a successful outcome to this potentially lethal firearms incident, and in particular, the bravery of the two detectives who were first on scene. “This was another in a long line of examples of Gardaí putting themselves on the line to keep people safe. I want to wish them a speedy recovery.”

Archbishop Dermot Farrell of Dublin said he was shocked to hear of the shooting and injury of two Gardaí in west-Dublin yesterday.

"I thank God that there was no loss of life. We are indebted to all members of An Garda Síochána who provide a vital and professional service as guardians of the peace. At this time I will remember the injured Gardaí, and their families, in my prayers," the former Dunboyne PP stated.