Trim cruise into IFC decider

Trim advanced to the IFC final this evening at Pairc Tailteann with a thoroughly deserved 4-18 to 1-9 victory against Kilmainham.

Victory was achieved at a price as James Toher limped out of the action after 26 minutes.

Trim rocketed out of the traps and had Kilmainham on the backfoot from as early as 20 seconds when Aaron Lynch sent over a fine point, his first of nine.

That was only that start of the roasting that KIlmainham endured in the opening minutes as Eoin O'Connor raced through a minute later and the net bulged.

The onslaught continued with Alan Douglas racing through and unleashing a goalbound shot that Kilmainham's Terence Daly turned around the post for a '45' that was sent over by confidently by Lynch.

At that early stage a drubbing looked on the cards for KIlmainham, but they knuckled down and got into the game with a brace of Dylan Morgan points and one from Mickey Newman.

Kilmainham players warming up for the semi-final

By the end of the opening quarter they were beginning to grow in confidence as Trim over-played the ball and squandered a number of chances, but that all changed ahead of the water break when O'Connor turned neatly and finished to the net for his second goal.

Kilmainham resumed smartly and put it up to Trim when Richie Brady flicked to the net from a lofted Ger Morgan centre.

That gave Kilmainham a boost and they surged forward again with Mickey Newman's centre finding Ger Morgan, but his effort was blocked by Peter Brennan.

Trim countered swiftly with a surging run from Robert Bourke making the opening for an Alan Douglas goal.

It was a turning point of sorts as instead of parity Kilmainham trailed by 1-3 to 3-3 and by half-time the deficit was nine points (1-4 to 3-7) as they could only manage a further Conor Kilgallen point.

For Trim the return was better with the extra points added by a brace apiece from Ciaran Joyce and Lynch (one free).

Kilmainham started the second-half with some purpose and claimed early points from Mullen and Newman, but the warning lights were flashing again when Daly had to save smartly from Conor Quigley at the expense of another '45' that Lynch converted.

Soon after, Lynch created the opening for a Joyce goal and that really killed the game as it gave Trim a 4-8 to 1-6 advantage.

Kilmainham lost half-time substitute Jamie Madden to a black card and the remainder was fairly academic.

Trim kept the scoreboard ticking over and added a further 10 points.

Trim players in a happy mood after the final whistle


Trim - Aaron Lynch 0-9 two '45s' two frees; Eoin O'Connor 2-1; Ciaran Joyce 1-2; Mark Molloy 0-2; Robert Bourke 0-2; Alan Douglas 1-0; Conor Quigley 0-1; Dylan Finnerty 0-1.

Kilmainham - Michael Newman 0-4 two frees; Declan Mullen 0-2; Dylan Morgan 0-2; Richie Brady 1-0; Conor Kilgallen 0-1.


Trim - Peter Brennan; Declan Dowling, Brian Bolger, Ciaran O'Rourke; Daire Lynch, James Toher, Kevin Nally; Rob Burke, Conor Quigley; Ian Bermingham, Robert Bourke, Conor Quigley; Ian Bermingham, Alan Douglas, Mark Molloy; Ciaran Joyce, Aaron Lynch, Eoin O'Connor. Subs - Luke Moran for Toher 26 mins; Dylan Finnerty for JOyce and Neil Heffernan for Douglas both 49m, Gerry Dwane for Nally 55m

Kilmainham - Terence Daly; Stephen Newman, Harry Newman, Jamie O'Sullivan; Declan Mullen; Sean Mahon, Johnny Quinlan; Conor Kilgallen, James Hennigan; Michael Newman, Gerard Morgan, Dean Peppard; Freddie Newman, Richie Brady, Dylan Morgan. Subs - Darren O'Sullivan for S Newman 15 min; Larry Morgan for F Newman, Paul Farrelly for Quinlan and Jamie Madden for Peppard all half-time; Mark Newman for O'Sullivan 50m.

Referee - Andrew Smith (Dunshaughlin).

More from this Topic