Injury-time point paves the way for Nobber men

Story by Jimmy Geoghegan

Wednesday, 11th August, 2010 4:51pm

Injury-time point paves the way for Nobber men

Brian Comaskey of Carnaross experiences Nobber-style pressure at Kells on Friday night.

There was plenty of drama at the end of this IFC encounter at Kells on Friday evening as Brendan Heffernan popped up with a last-gasp point to earn a draw for Nobber and rescue them from what looked like certain defeat.

The game was six minutes into injury time when Heffernan slotted over the equalising point to ensure his team maintained their unbeaten record and booked a place in the semi-finals.

For Nobber there was delight at the end that they had saved themselves however, the reaction of the Carnaross players and mentors was quite different as they were left crestfallen that they didn't win.

They looked like they had done enough to secure a victory as the seconds ticked away.

Then Nobber launched a final, desperate attack and were awarded for their persistence when Heffernan arrowed the ball between the posts.

Referee Colm McManus, who is one of the better match officials around, took considerable stick from one or two Carnaross supporters on his way off the pitch yet he was adamant the time should have been allowed.

Carnaross knew going into the game that they needed a win, or at least a draw, and they set about producing a tenacious, determined display.

They were well served at midfield by Brian Comaskey and particulary Dermot McGee who capped an excellent outing by scoring four points, three from play. Paddy Nugent and Stein Carpenter also put in good shifts at the back.

Once again John L McGee ended up as top scorer for Carnaross with 1-2. However, he had a mixed evening, uncharacteristically missing a number of good opportunities.

Ollie Murphy contributed four points while Damien Smith also split the posts.

At times Carnaross produced some swift, direct football. It was from one of their better moves that they almost got the opening goal after 10 minutes.

Murphy sent a long pass to the unmarked John L McGee who looked to have escaped the clutches of Nobber goalkeeper Christopher O'Reilly only to rattle the bar with a shot.

It was a let off for Nobber and they took full advantage, moving the ball quickly downfield with Padraig Fox and Darren Lambe creating a chance for Andrew Hayes who finished to the net smartly. Hayes went on to score two fine points from play as did Lambe.

The sides were also level 1-4 to 0-7 at the interval and Carnaross and John L McGee eventually did make the net dance on 48 minutes.

Dermot McGee lofted in a free and John L ghosted in to punch home.

That score helped to ensure that Carnaross went into the closing stages with a comfortable cushion.

However, Nobber got the last three scores, a free from Farrell and two from Heffernan, which included the last-gasp equaliser.

While Nobber stitched together some exciting, fast-paced moves they faded out of the game for spells and Carnaross were not slow in taking full advantage. Nobber also missed some late chances from play and frees.

Carnaross coach Alan Stephens and his Nobber counterpart Davy Cahill had mixed feelings afterwards. It could have been worse for both sides, but at least they are still in contention for the title.

Carnaross - K Comaskey; Paddy Nugent, T Nugent, J Plunkett; E Comaskey, S Carpenter, Peter Nugent; D McGee (0-4), B Comaskey; D Smith (0-1), JL McGee (1-2, two frees), C Brogan; N McDermott, O Murphy (0-4, two frees), P Mullan.

Nobber - C O'Reilly; P Weldon, P Clarke, R Shields; P McEntee, A O'Brien, G Weldon; A Farrell, G Farrelly; G Campbell, A Hayes (1-2), B Heffernan (0-2); P Fox, B Farrell (0-5, four frees), D Lambe (0-2). Subs - N Farrell for Campbell 35 mins; C Halpin for Fox 46m.

Referee - Colm McManus (Gaeil Colmcille).

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus