Shock defeat for O'Mahonys

Story by Meath Chronicle Sports

Wednesday, 2nd June, 2010 4:58pm

Shock defeat for O'Mahonys

Barry Regan claims possession for Navan O'Mahonys during Sunday's SFC game against Donaghmore/Ashbourne at Pairc Tailteann.

Donaghmore / Ashbourne threw SFC Group C wide open when they engineered an impressive victory over Navan O'Mahonys at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

O'Mahonys were wayward in the finishing department and even needed two chances to convert a second-half penalty while the Donaghmore side made the most of whatever opportunities they created.

They also lost the influential Alan Tormey to an early injury, but his replacement Rory Maguire, made a big contribution

O'Mahonys had an early goal chance which was blocked as they tallied three wides before Henry Finnega's seventh minute point from play cancelled a first minute Tormey free.

The Navan men added another four wides with some woeful finishing as they practically owned the ball, but were punished when Eoin Riordan pointed a free in the 13th minute for Donaghmore / Ashbourne who then wasted a gilt-edged goal chance.

Tormey and David Morgan fluffed their lines and O'Mahonys averted the danger. Tormey sustained an injury and was replaced by Maguire.

The pedestrian pace remained, O'Mahonys took their wide tally for the half to nine, managed points from Paddy Smyth (two) and Finnegan and trailed by 0-4 to 0-5 at the interval.

Riordan (two, one free) and Maguire pointed Donaghmore / Ashbourne into that interval advantage.

The tempo increased after the break and Donaghmore / Ashbourne made the early running with quick points from Maguire and Riordan.

Stephen Bray, who had a quiet first-half, got on the scoresheet for O'Mahonys who were awarded a penalty soon after when Shane McKeigue was impeded.

Smyth converted at the second attempt, and added a point soon after, but Donaghmore / Ashbourne found the perfect response when Eoin Reilly flashed the ball to the net which left O'Mahonys adrift by 1-6 to 1-7 at the end of the third-quarter.

O'Mahonys got back on level terms through Shane Gillespie, but were rocked in the 22nd minute when another Donaghmore / Ashbourne substitute, Ian Dowd, rifled the ball to the net with his first touch.

Kevin Lanigan supplied the problematic cross from the terrace sideline and Dowd was perfectly positioned.

There was no way back for O'Mahonys who increased their wide tally 15 with some poor finishing as their opponents eased into the winner's enclosure.

Donaghmore / Ashbourne - D McShane; S Harmon, C McGill, S Byrne; C Ellis, C O Mealoid, T Kelly; R O'Connor, E Reilly (1-0); E Riordan (0-5 two frees), B Menton (0-1), K Lanigan; D Morgan, N Farrell, A Tormey (0-1 free). Subs - R Maguire (0-2) for Tormey 16 mins; I Dowd (1-0) for Farrell 45m.

Navan O'Mahonys - M Brennan; S O'Toole, D Moran, C Reilly; S Mac Gabhann, S Reilly, G O'Brien; B Regan, M Ward; P Smyth (1-3 two frees), R Geraghty, H Finnegan (0-2); S McKeigue, S Bray (0-1), S Gillespie (0-1). Sub - L Russell for Geraghty 42 mins.

Referee - Brendan Darby (Clonard).

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus