Supporters leaving Pairc Tailteann tonight after the Leinster u-21 FC quarter-final replay between Meath and Louth found themselves engulfed in a pall of smoke from a chimney fire in a house at Brews Hill shortly after 9pm.
The Emergency services were quickly on the scene with an ambulance from the Red Cross arriving quickly and personnel providing assistance for some elderly residents.
The Gardai also arrived and promptly closed off the road which actually eased the congestion as the match traffic was able to benefit from a clear road.
A unit from the local fire brigade took up station outside the house and the incident was assessed quickly and dealt with.
It is understood that there were no injuries arising out of the incident and the road at Brews Hill and the junction of Railway St opened again soon after.
There was good news also for the locals as Meath defeated Louth in the u-21 game.
€50 for 6 months (24 editions) of the Meath Chronicles. Ideal gift for those who have everything. Subscribe for free here.