Two units from Navan Fire Service were involved in the dramatic rescue of a man from a serious apartment fire in the town in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The alarm was raised at around 12.15am and when firefighters arrived on the scene, they found the top floor apartment in the three-storey block on the Tailteann Road well ablaze.
Two crews in breathing apparatus entered the building and located a casualty lying unconscious on the floor of the bedroom in the property.
The man, who is in his 50s, was quickly taken from the building and received prompt medical attention from the ambulance service at the scene before being rushed to Our Lady’s Hospital, Navan.
It is understood the man suffered smoke inhalation but is expected to make a full recovery. The occupants of the other apartments in the block were evacuated as a precaution during the outbreak, as was the house next door.
The blaze caused intense heat and flames but, after rescuing the man from the building, firefighters managed to bring the fire quickly under control and prevent it from spreading.
The apartment was extensively damaged and it is understood there was some smoke damage to adjoining properties.
Local people had attempted to gain access to the apartment to rescue the man but they were held back by the intense heat and flames.
Acting chief fire officer for Meath, Padraig Ó Longaigh, has praised members of the Navan Fire Service for their quick actions which saved the man’s life. “I very much commend the Navan crew for going in and being able to take out the casualty so quickly and so efficiently,” he said. “They were very professional and it looks like the man is going to be OK.”
A year of the Meath Chronicles, user-friendly on all platforms, makes a perfect gift for loved ones overseas. An annual digital subscription costs €99. Click here to subscribe or view a sample digital edition.